Two Dead, Seven Arrested In Police Raid On Paris Suburb

Two Dead, Seven Arrested In Police Raid On Paris Suburb

French special police forces secure the area as shots are exchanged in Saint-Denis, France, near Paris, November 18, 2015 during an operation to catch fugitives from Friday night’s deadly attacks in the French capital. CHRISTIAN HARTMANN/REUTERS

French police have arrested seven people and at least two others are dead after a raid in the Parisian suburb of Saint-Denis began with a suicide bombing, according police officials.

A woman detonated an explosive vest at the start of the dawn raid on Wednesday, while gunshots and explosions were heard in the early hours of the morning in the northern suburb, where the Stade de France is located. The stadium was one of the sites targeted in the attacks that killed at least 129 people and left at least 99 seriously injured in Paris on Friday.

According to Reuters, three police officers and one passerby were also injured during the raid.

Wednesday’s raid was part of a manhunt for Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the suspected mastermind of the attacks, and suspected militant Salah Abdeslam. According to police officials, along with the female suicide bomber a man was also killed, and a total of seven people have been arrested, Reuters reports.

Police announced that the raid, which lasted seven hours, is now over, but have made no statement on whether or not Abaaoud or Abdeslam have been caught.

Reuters later reported that a source close to the investigation had said the arrested suspects were planning a fresh attack on the Parisian business district La Défense. French weekly news magazine L’Obs then cited a police source saying that there was no planned attack on the area, where workers returned to their normal routines this week.

Related: ‘It’s Important to Stay Positive:’ An Anxious, Unafraid Paris Returns to Work

Earlier in the day, the BBC reported heavy military and police presence in Saint-Denis and cited local Benson Hoi, who lives near the scene of the operation, and said he could “see about 15 vehicles of army and police and over 100 army and police officers.”

“I’ve been hearing gunshots continuously, like fireworks from 4:30 a.m.. There have been some breaks but it has seemed like a continuous … to me it sounds like continuous gunshots,” he added.


simple! Man of few words!

Leave a Reply